Best Science Guides For Dummies
Unleash the power of Python for your data analysis projects with For Dummies!
Python is the preferred programming language for data scientists and combines the best features of Matlab, Mathematica, and R into libraries specific to data analysis and visualization. Python for Data Science For Dummies shows you how to take advantage of Python programming to acquire, organize, process, and analyze large amounts of information and use basic statistics concepts to identify trends and patterns. You’ll get familiar with the Python development environment, manipulate data, design compelling visualizations, and solve scientific computing challenges as you work your way through this user-friendly guide.
- Covers the fundamentals of Python data analysis programming and statistics to help you build a solid foundation in data science concepts like probability, random distributions, hypothesis testing, and regression models
- Explains objects, functions, modules, and libraries and their role in data analysis
- Walks you through some of the most widely-used libraries, including NumPy, SciPy, BeautifulSoup, Pandas, and MatPlobLib
Whether you’re new to data analysis or just new to Python, Python for Data Science For Dummies is your practical guide to getting a grip on data overload and doing interesting things with the oodles of information you uncover.
Get on the fast track to understanding neuroscience
Research into the human brain has exploded in recent years, and neuroscience has become a major program at many universities and a required course for a wide range of studies. Neuroscience For Dummies tracks to an introductory neuroscience class, giving you an understanding of the brain’s structure and function, as well as a look into the relationship between memory, learning, emotions, and the brain. Providing insight into the biology of mental illness and a glimpse at future treatments and applications of neuroscience, Neuroscience For Dummies is a fascinating read for students and general interest readers alike.
The brain holds the secrets to our personalities, our use of language, our love of music, and our memories. Neuroscience For Dummies looks at how this complex structure works, according to the most recent scientific discoveries, illustrated by helpful diagrams and engaging anecdotes.
- Helpful diagrams and engaging anecdotes enhance material
- The latest scientific discoveries are sprinkled throughout
- Tracks to a typical introductory neuroscience class
From how the brain works to how you feel emotions, Neuroscience For Dummies offers a comprehensive overview of the fascinating study of the human brain.
Get the confidence and math skills you need to get started with calculus
Are you preparing for calculus? This hands-on workbook helps you master basic pre-calculus concepts and practice the types of problems you’ll encounter in the course. You’ll get hundreds of valuable exercises, problem-solving shortcuts, plenty of workspace, and step-by-step solutions to every problem. You’ll also memorize the most frequently used equations, see how to avoid common mistakes, understand tricky trig proofs, and much more. Pre-Calculus Workbook For Dummies is the perfect tool for anyone who wants or needs more review before jumping into a calculus class. You’ll get guidance and practical exercises designed to help you acquire the skills needed to excel in pre-calculus and conquer the next contender-calculus.
- Serves as a course guide to help you master pre-calculus concepts
- Covers the inside scoop on quadratic equations, graphing functions, polynomials, and more
- Covers the types of problems you’ll encounter in your coursework
With the help of Pre-Calculus Workbook For Dummies you’ll learn how to solve a range of mathematical problems as well as sharpen your skills and improve your performance.
The fun and easy way to get up to speed on the basic concepts of physics
For high school and undergraduate students alike, physics classes are recommended or required courses for a wide variety of majors, and continue to be a challenging and often confusing course.
Physics I For Dummies tracks specifically to an introductory course and, keeping with the traditionally easy-to-follow Dummies style, teaches you the basic principles and formulas in a clear and concise manner, proving that you don’t have to be Einstein to understand physics!
- Explains the basic principles in a simple, clear, and entertaining fashion
- New edition includes updated examples and explanations, as well as the newest discoveries in the field
- Contains the newest teaching techniques
If just thinking about the laws of physics makes your head spin, this hands-on, friendly guide gets you out of the black hole and sheds light on this often-intimidating subject.
For students who just need to know the vital concepts of physics, whether as a refresher, for exam prep, or as a reference, Physics Essentials For Dummies is a must-have guide. Free of ramp-up and ancillary material, Physics Essentials For Dummies contains content focused on key topics only. It provides discrete explanations of critical concepts taught in an introductory physics course, from force and motion to momentum and kinetics. This guide is also a perfect reference for parents who need to review critical physics concepts as they help high school students with homework assignments, as well as for adult learners headed back to the classroom who just need a refresher of the core concepts.
The Essentials For Dummies Series
Dummies is proud to present our new series, The Essentials For Dummies. Now students who are prepping for exams, preparing to study new material, or who just need a refresher can have a concise, easy-to-understand review guide that covers an entire course by concentrating solely on the most important concepts. From algebra and chemistry to grammar and Spanish, our expert authors focus on the skills students most need to succeed in a subject.
The fun and easy way to get down to business with statistics
Stymied by statistics? No fear ? this friendly guide offers clear, practical explanations of statistical ideas, techniques, formulas, and calculations, with lots of examples that show you how these concepts apply to your everyday life.
Statistics For Dummies shows you how to interpret and critique graphs and charts, determine the odds with probability, guesstimate with confidence using confidence intervals, set up and carry out a hypothesis test, compute statistical formulas, and more.
- Tracks to a typical first semester statistics course
- Updated examples resonate with today’s students
- Explanations mirror teaching methods and classroom protocol
Packed with practical advice and real-world problems, Statistics For Dummies gives you everything you need to analyze and interpret data for improved classroom or on-the-job performance.
Get positive suggestions for practical solutions to this heated issue.
Hotly debated in the political arena and splashed across the media almost 24/7, global warming has become the topic of the moment. Whatever one’s views on its cause, there is no denying that the earth’s climate is changing, and people everywhere are worried. Global Warming For Dummies sorts out fact from fiction, explaining the science behind climate change and examining the possible long-term effects of a warmer planet. This no-nonsense yet friendly guide helps you explore solutions to this challenging problem, from what governments and industry can do to what you can do at home and how to get involved.
How to create the world’s new urban future
With the majority of the world’s population shifting to urban centres, urban planning—the practice of land-use and transportation planning to help shape cities structurally, economically, and socially—has become an increasingly vital profession. In Urban Planning For Dummies, readers will get a practical overview of this fascinating field, including studying community demographics, determining the best uses for land, planning economic and transportation development, and implementing plans. Following an introductory course on urban planning, this book is key reading for any urban planning student or anyone involved in urban development.
With new studies conclusively demonstrating the dramatic impact of urban design on public psychological and physical health, the impact of the urban planner on a community is immense. And with a wide range of positions for urban planners in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors—including law firms, utility companies, and real estate development firms—having a fundamental understanding of urban planning is key to anyone even considering entry into this field. This book provides a useful introduction and lays the groundwork for serious study.
- Helps readers understand the essentials of this complex profession
- Written by a certified practicing urban planner, with extensive practical and community-outreach experience
For anyone interested in being in the vanguard of building, designing, and shaping tomorrow’s sustainable city, Urban Planning For Dummies offers an informative, entirely accessible introduction on learning how.
Quantum Physics For Dummies, Revised Edition helps make quantum physics understandable and accessible. From what quantum physics can do for the world to understanding hydrogen atoms, readers will get complete coverage of the subject, along with numerous examples to help them tackle the tough equations. Compatible with classroom text books and courses, Quantum Physics For Dummies, Revised Edition lets students study at their own paces and helps them prepare for graduate or professional exams. Coverage includes:
- The Schrodinger Equation and its Applications
- The Foundations of Quantum Physics
- Vector Notation
- Scattering Theory, Angular Momentum, and more
Your plain-English guide to understanding and working with the micro world
Quantum physics — also called quantum mechanics or quantum field theory — can be daunting for even the most dedicated student or enthusiast of science, math, or physics. This friendly, concise guide makes this challenging subject understandable and accessible, from atoms to particles to gases and beyond. Plus, it’s packed with fully explained examples to help you tackle the tricky equations like a pro!
- Compatible with any classroom course — study at your own pace and prepare for graduate or professional exams
- Your journey begins here — understand what quantum physics is and what kinds of problems it can solve
- Know the basic math — from state vectors to quantum matrix manipulations, get the foundation you need to proceed
- Put quantum physics to work — make sense of Schrödinger’s equation and handle particles bound in square wells and harmonic oscillators
- Solve problems in three dimensions — use the full operators to handle wave functions and eigenvectors to find the natural wave functions of a system
- Discover the latest research — learn the cutting-edge quantum physics theories that aim to explain the universe itself